Get Fit, Go Vote: Daemen’s Drive to Get Voter Participation for the General Election

By Cadence Russell, Editor-in-Chief

There are 29 days until Election Day, November 5, 2024. Get Civically Fit, a partnership between the History and Political Science Department, Athletics, and Student Affairs, has been hosting events to get the Daemen campus community involved in the election process, from voter registration drives to debate watch parties. 

“We want our students to be physically fit, spiritually fit. We also want them to be civically fit, to get registered to vote,” Dr. Lisa Parshall, professor of political science, said.

The program has been in effect for about 20 years when Senator Strom Thurmond required that all places of higher education that receive federal funding do Constitution Day, which has since somewhat merged with National Voter Registration Day.

“Students don’t think that their vote matters and we actually had to explain that to a few students, which I was more than happy to do because for a while I thought my vote didn’t matter either,” McKenzie Duncan, senior professional writing and rhetoric major and president of the Black Student Union said. 

Get Civically Fit is the central clearinghouse for the official Daemen University effort, but other organizations, such as the Black Student Union, have also run voter registration drives. 

Historically, voters aged 18-24 have made up the smallest percentage of voter turnout, ie. the percentage of eligible voters who take part in an election. In the 2020 election, voters aged 18-24 had the lowest voter turnout at 51.4%, contrasted with the highest voter turnout for those between 65-74 at 76%. The 2020 election however did have the highest overall voter turnout in the 21st century with 66.8% of citizens over the age of 18 partaking in the election.

“I think, and this is not just typical of Daemen students, but a lot of younger voters, by younger I mean kind of the 18 to 24 demographic often feel disempowered,” Parshall said. “But what I think they don’t understand is the huge untapped potential of that demographic. If that age demographic showed up and voted in the same numbers as the over 65 crowd does, it would totally remake election politics overnight.”

The last day to register to vote in New York is October 26, 2024, and in New York, eligible individuals can register to vote online. Registration by mail should be received no later than October 26, 2024. Deadlines vary by state, with some states having deadlines as early as October 7.

“So I just tell people, you’re not just voting for yourself, but you’re voting for people who are disenfranchised,” Parshall said. “You’re voting for the people who fought to get you that right to vote, and if your vote didn’t matter, there wouldn’t be people trying to suppress it.”

“Because I am a queer, black woman, my rights have always been up for debate, and I haven’t been able to be in the space to really make a difference in that, so I feel the need to exercise my rights while I have them, to protect them as much as I can,” Duncan said.

Election Day is November 5, but early voting starts on October 26 in New York and runs until November 3. Those voting by mail must ensure it receives a postmark no later than November 5 and is received no later than November 12.

For those who will be absent from their home county on Election Day, are unable to appear at the polls due to a disability or are a caregiver of a person with a disability, are in jail for any reason except a felony conviction, or are a resident or patient of a Veterans Health Administration Hospital can apply for an absentee ballot. Applications are due on October 26 by mail and by November 4 in person. Absentee ballots sent in by mail are subject to the same deadlines as early mail ballots, but can also be delivered in person on Election Day or during early voting.

All information is from the New York State Board of Elections.

“I’m very excited,” Nate Setlock, junior paralegal studies major said. “I have a place in my village where we go, and we do these kinds of votes, and it’s going to be interesting to see who I choose for because they say all votes matter at the end of the day, it’s what I believe in, and everyone else believes in too.”

Setlock attended the Vice Presidential Debate Watch on October 1 hosted by the History and Political Science Department in the Den. This was the second of the two debates this semester, with the Presidential Debate Watch held on September 10. 

“I feel that inflation is at an all-time high. Gas prices are up through the roof too, and the economy as well. And I would like to live in a world for those where financial stress is not an issue, for not only me but every single American individual,” Setlock said.

Around 81% of registered voters have expressed that the economy is very important to their vote in the 2024 election.

“I watched the first debate, and I’ve, you know, seen random stuff, lots of memes about eating pets or whatnot,” Anna Mangialomini, a sophomore psychology major said. 

Mangialomini was also in attendance at the Vice Presidential Debate Watch Party and expressed that her primary concerns were human rights and democracy in the United States.

Classes are canceled on November 5 to allow the campus community time to vote on Election Day.

“I try my best to speak out about everything I believe in, and I’m always actively trying to do what I seek to see in the world,” Duncan said. “And a part of that is voting and using my voice.”